SQL Server 2016 delivers breakthrough mission-critical capabilities with in-memory performance and operational analytics built-in. Comprehensive security features like new Always Encrypted technology help protect your data at rest and in motion, and a world-class high availability and disaster recovery solution adds new enhancements to AlwaysOn technology.
New features and enhancements :
- New Performance Enhancements :
- In-memory OLTP enhancements : Greater T-SQL surface area, terabytes of memory supported and greater number of parallel CPUs, provide up to 30x faster Transactions, more than 100x faster Queries than disk-based relational databases and Real-time Operational Analytics.
- Query Data Store : Monitor and optimize query plans with full history of query execution
- Native JSON : Parsing & storing of JSON as relational data & exporting relational data to JSON, as it is becoming a popular format to store NoSQL/Unstructured data.
- Security Upgrades :
- Always Encrypted : Help protect data at rest and in motion with the master key residing with the application & no application changes required. Read 6 Things You Should Know About SQL Server 2016 Always On Encryption.
- Row Level Security : Customers can implement Row-level Security on databases to enable implementation of fine-grained access control over rows in a database table for greater control over which users can access which data.
- Dynamic Data Masking : Real-time obfuscation of data to prevent unauthorized access
- Even Higher Availability, with Enhanced AlwaysOn:
- Up to 3 synchronous replicas for auto failover across domains, for more robust High Availability and Disaster Recovery
- Round-robin load balancing of replicas
- DTC & SSIS support
- Automatic failover based on database health
- Hybrid Cloud Solution :
- Stretch Database : Stretch operational tables in a secure manner into Azure for cost effective historic data availability, that lets you dynamically stretch your warm and cold transactional data to Microsoft Azure.
- Azure Data Factory integration with SSIS
- Deeper Insights Across Data :
- PolyBase : Manage relational & non-relational data with the simplicity of T-SQL
- Enhanced SSIS : Designer support for previous SSIS versions and support for Power Query
- Built-in Advanced Analytics: Bringing predictive analytic algorithms directly into SQL Server.
Check the SQL Server 2016 Datasheet here for more information on this: http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/D/3/FD33C34D-3B65-4DA9-8A9F-0B456656DE3B/SQL_Server_2016_datasheet.pdf